|NEW ORDINANCE REGARDING PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS
IN HARRISON TOWNSHIP
• CLICK HERE FOR INFORMATION
Welcome to Harrison Township!
Most people know us as Natrona and Natrona Heights, but we are actually Harrison Township.
Harrison Township was formally organized as a First Class Township in March 1900. Today we have a population of just over 10,000 and occupy 7.2 square miles of land on the west shore of the Allegheny river, about 20 miles northeast of downtown Pittsburgh.
The largest portion of Harrison Township is residential with mostly single family homes. Currently Maronda Homes is developing over 100 acres of land with additional multi-family and single-family housing, which will number over 300 new units.
Our residents enjoy an exceptional quality of life - local shopping, an excellent school district, parks and other recreational facilities, hospital and healthcare facilities, a wonderful public library and much more. With a large employer base in our township and surrounding areas many of our residents find employment locally.
Our three largest local employers are Allegheny Ludlum Steel Corporation, the Highlands School District and the Alle-Kiski Medical Center. Other employment opportunities exist in the Heights Plaza Shopping Center, and in the total redevelopment of the former Highlands Mall to include a Walmart Supercenter, restaurants, a furniture store and other smaller retail outlets. There are also numerous small businesses of all types scattered through the Township, with most of them located along Freeport Road, the main artery of the Township.
Allegheny Ludlum Corporation is currently in the process of a massive addition to its plant in Harrison Township. This will help to keep many jobs at the Brackenridge Works, as it is known, for years to come.
Alle-Kiski Medical Center is also adding to its building, by enlarging the emergency department and changing the location of other facilities currently within the hospital. These changes are estimated to cost over $4 million.